Ong Meng Chai
1. Read Psalm 115:1-8. What, according to verse 8, is the consequence of idolatry? How was that true of the Israelites in the golden calf incident? Do you see any parallel in yourself? What does the present shape of your life tell you about which “god” you worship?
2. We have often heard it being said that “God loves the sinner but hates his sin.” In light of Exodus 32, do you think that is true? Explain why or why not.
3. Read Exodus 32:19-24. Compare Moses’ attitude to sin with Aaron’s attitude. How different are they? Is the difference significant? How does that speak to your attitude towards sin?
4. “The Old Testament depicts a God who is angry with anyone who disobeys Him while the New Testament depicts a God who is loving and kind to all.” From our study of Exodus 32, do you agree? How does you answer impact your understanding of (a) the relationship between the Old and New Testaments; (b) who God is and what He is like?
5. Sometimes in reading a text of the Bible, it is good to ask the question, “What is shocking or surprising about the text?” Share just one matter which shocked or surprised you in Exodus 32.